Here are the official qualifying criteria for the 2016 European and American Ryder Cup teams.
First, the European team:
(a) The leading four Members  on The Ryder Cup European Points List  on Sunday 28th August 2016, (or as at the conclusion of the Made in Denmark Tournament, whichever is the latter). In the event of a tie between Members (i.e. a number of Members having accumulated an equal number of points), placings will be decided by the Member  with the higher ranking on the 2016 Race to Dubai Rankings on Sunday 28th August 2016, (or as at the conclusion of the Made in Denmark tournament, whichever is the latter);
(b) The leading five Members , not otherwise qualified under paragraph (a) above, on The Ryder Cup World Points List  on Sunday 28th August 2016, (or as at the conclusion of the Made in Denmark tournament, whichever is the latter). In the event of a tie between Members (i.e. a number of Members having accumulated an equal number of points), placings will be decided by the Member  with the higher ranking on the Official World Golf Ranking as published on Monday 22nd August 2016; and
(c) The Captain, Darren Clarke, will choose (at his own discretion) the remaining three Members  in the week commencing Monday 29th August 2016.
(1) The Ryder Cup European Points List will comprise points (1 point = 1 Euro of Official Money) earned by a Member  from all Race to Dubai Tournaments in which he Participates that are scheduled to conclude between Thursday 3rd September 2015 and Sunday 28th August 2016. (Money earned by a Member from the 2015 Race to Dubai Bonus Pool (unofficial) does not count towards this points list).
(2) The Ryder Cup World Points List will comprise Official World Golf Ranking Points won by a Member1 from all OWGR tournaments in which he Participates, (unless otherwise stated below) that are scheduled to conclude as follows: -
(i) Between Thursday 3rd September 2015 and Sunday 7th August 2016.
(ii) On Sunday 21st August 2016.
(iii) ONLY from the Made in Denmark Tournament on Sunday 28th August 2016.
Official World Golf Ranking Points are allocated to all officially sanctioned tournaments (on any Federated Tour) by the Official World Golf Ranking and are allocated according to the Event Rating of the tournament.
Exception: The 100th Open de France will be allocated points on the Ryder Cup World Points List, based on the OWGR points breakdown for a tournament whose winner earns 64 OWGR points, unless the strength of field dictates a higher points allocation.
 For the purposes of defining eligibility for selection for the 2016 European Ryder Cup team only, all references to Member(s) and Membership in the eligibility criteria referred to above shall mean only those European Members of the European Tour, whether Ranked Members, Affiliate Members, Honorary Life Members, Past Champions or other Members of distinction or Ranked European Members of the European Challenge Tour.
Note 1: Points won on The Ryder Cup World Points List and The Ryder Cup European Points List can only be earned by a Player whilst a Member  of the European Tour (as defined in the preceding section).
Note 2: For points earned on either list to count within any one Official Season, a Ranked Member (including a Ranked Honorary Life Member) must fulfil his Membership obligations* (referred to in Regulation B1(c)) within that Official Season.
* In the Official Season in which The Ryder Cup is to be played, if any Ranked Member has not fulfilled these Membership obligations at the time when The European Ryder Cup team is selected, he must have committed to Participate in and there must remain sufficient Race to Dubai Tournaments in that Official Season for the Member to be able to do so.
Note 3: A Non-Member taking up Membership  of The European Tour for an Official Season that commences during the qualification period can only earn points on either list from the date of the first Race to Dubai Tournament of that Official Season or the first Race to Dubai Tournament for which the Player is a Member  of The European Tour, whichever is the latter.
All decisions and/or disputes relating to a Player’s eligibility for selection for a European Ryder Cup team including any issues relating to nationality, citizenship, domicile or residency of a Player will be determined by the European Tour’s Tournament Committee, subject to the ratification of any such decision by the board of directors of Ryder Cup Europe.
The tournament will be a Match Play Competition between two teams of 12 Players representing Europe and the United States. On both the 1st and 2nd days there will be a series of 4 foursome matches and a series of 4 four-ball matches, and on the final day a series of 12 singles matches.
Here is the official qualifying process for the 2016 American Ryder Cup team:
The United States points system will determine the top eight players for the 2016 Ryder Cup Team, and began March 8, 2015, at the conclusion of the WGC-Cadillac Championship.
Here is the 2016 U.S. Ryder Cup points system:
- 2015 Major Championships (1 Point per $1,000 earned)
The Masters, U.S. Open, Open Championship, PGA Championship
- 2015 WGC Events and The Players Championship (1 Point per $2,000 earned)
WGC Cadillac Championship, WGC Match Play Championship, The Players Championship, WGC Bridgestone Invitational, WGC HSBC Champions
- 2016 Regular PGA TOUR Events (1 point per $1,000 earned)
Beginning Jan. 1, 2016, through and including the Barclays on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016
- 2016 Opposite Field PGA TOUR Events will not receive any points
-2016 Major Championships (2 points per $1,000 earned)
- The Top Eight: Eight of the 12 members of the U.S. Team will be named on points earned following the conclusion of The Barclays, which is scheduled to conclude Sunday Aug. 28, 2016. This new timetable gives two additional weeks for players to earn Ryder Cup qualifying points.
- Captain's Picks: U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III will select three of his four Captain's Picks after the conclusion of the BMW Championship, which is scheduled to conclude on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016. His fourth pick will take place Sunday evening after the TOUR Championship, Sept. 25, 2016. This new timetable also is pushed back two weeks.