With his victory at the Valero Texas Open, Charley Hoffman moved up 10 positions in this week's U.S. Ryder Cup points rankings. Hoffman went from 22nd to 12th by virtue of his one-shot victory in San Antonio.
By finishing one shot behind Hoffman over the weekend, Reed slipped past J.B. Holmes for one of the eight automatic qualifiers for this fall's visit to Hazeltine National. However, the difference between Reed and Hoffman is less than 800 points with four more months to go before the rankings are finalized.
Jordan Spieth continues to hold a commanding lead over Dustin Johnson as the top point-getter. They're followed by Bubba Watson, Brandt Snedeker, Zach Johnson, Rickie Fowler -- all of whom have more than 3,000 points at this juncture -- Phil Mickelson and Reed. The top 12 all have at least 2,000 points.
Here's a look at the top 12 following the 2016 Valero Texas Open (remember, the top eight qualify on points, while U.S. Captain Davis Love III will round out the team with his four Captain's Picks):
1. Jordan Spieth 8,872.840
2. Dustin Johnson 4,809.848
3. Bubba Watson 3,658.078
4. Brandt Snedeker 3,511.352
5. Zach Johnson 3,166.216
6. Rickie Fowler 3,089.357
7. Phil Mickelson 2,974.297
8. Patrick Reed 2,912.755
9. J.B. Holmes 2,575.692
10. Bill Haas 2,215.376
11. Brooks Koepka 2,214.007
12. Charley Hoffman 2,133.858
Since the 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine in Chaska, Minn., will be played in an Olympic year (with golf included in the Games for the first time since 1904), there have been some adjustments made to the qualifying calendar for the U.S. Ryder Cup team.
Here are the key qualifying dates:
- Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016: The top eight will be finalized at the conclusion of The Barclays, which is scheduled to finish on this date, as opposed to the traditional closing of points at the conclusion of the PGA Championship, which will be played in July instead of August in 2016 due to the Olympics. It also affords players an additional two weeks from past years to earn a spot on points.
- Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016: Love will select three of his four Captain's Picks at the conclusion of the BMW Championship, scheduled to end on this day.
- Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016: Love will make his fourth and final Captain's Pick at the conclusion of the Tour Championship, scheduled to end on this day.