New York | Aug. 26, 2016 – The first-ever Ryder Cup Trophy Tour in the United States, which is designed to build fan support and excitement for the 2016 Ryder Cup, will expand to 20 prominent appearances in 13 cities nationwide.
The month-long tour, a part of the “We Are 13” fan-engagement initiative to connect, energize and educate fans on the Ryder Cup, tees off on Aug. 29 with U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III on the Today Show, CNBC “Squawk Box” and Facebook Live; and concludes Sept. 23, four days before the biennial tradition of golf’s pre-eminent event begins at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota. Among the Metropolitan Areas that will be reached are Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York and Orlando. “We Are 13” refers to American golf fans across the country who will support the team like the 13th contestant on the 12-player squad.
Golf fans across the United States will have an extraordinary opportunity to show their support for the American team, and get up-close and personal with the Ryder Cup, as the Trophy makes an unprecedented tour—traveling more than 5,000 miles to some of the most prominent sporting events and special engagements nationwide. Ryder Cup participants, including U.S. Captain Davis Love III, past Captains Ben Crenshaw, Paul Azinger, Corey Pavin and Tom Lehman, as well as PGA of America ambassadors, will be on tour, at select locations.
The Ryder Cup, one of the greatest sporting events founded on prestige, rather than prize money, pits the best American professional golfers against those of Europe.
“The Ryder Cup Trophy Tour will allow fans all over the country to feel like they are a part of the U.S. Ryder Cup Team, take pride in their team, and connect with all that the Ryder Cup represents,” said PGA President Derek Sprague. “For nearly 90 years, the Ryder Cup has fostered a rousing spirit of international competition and respect that could be at an all-time high this year.”
While on its tour, the Ryder Cup Trophy will make several high-profile appearances, including the Today Show, CNBC and Facebook Live. In addition, it will visit legendary stadiums, such as college football’s Notre Dame vs. Texas game (Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas); Michigan State vs. Notre Dame (Notre Dame Stadium in Indiana); Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game with Georgia vs. North Carolina (Georgia Dome in Atlanta – U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III); UNLV vs. UCLA (The Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, California); and Ole Miss vs. Florida State (Camping World Stadium in Orlando – Paul Azinger).
In addition, the Trophy Tour will make stops at two Major League Baseball games: the Detroit Tigers vs. Minnesota Twins (Target Field in Minneapolis) and the Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs (Wrigley Field). The tour will also stop at golf facilities, including Whistling Straits at Destination Kohler, site of the 2020 Ryder Cup, and at an event with PGA Junior League Golf at Cog Hill Country Club near Chicago, where members of the public, as well as PGA Junior League Golf participants will interact with the Ryder Cup Trophy. Additional stops may be announced at a later day.
Fans will be invited to participate in a variety of activities on the Tour, such as posing for photos with the prestigious Ryder Cup Trophy, in order to share their memories on social media platforms, as well as take home pictures as souvenirs; showcasing their putting skills in the Mini Golf Hole-In-One Challenge on a replica of Hazeltine National’s Hole No. 7; and testing their Ryder Cup knowledge with trivia games.
Follow along with the tour on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram via @RyderCupUSA and #WeAre13.
Here is the Ryder Cup Trophy Tour Schedule, as of August 26:
- 29-Aug: Today Show, CNBC Squawk Box, Facebook Live, New York, NY
- 31-Aug: Golf Galaxy, Paramus, NJ, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- 1-Sep: Chelsea Piers, New York, NY, 9 to 10 a.m.
- 1-Sep: Samsung 837, New York, NY, Noon to 3 p.m.
- 2-Sep: Whistling Straits at Destination Kohler, Kohler, WI
- 3-Sep: Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, Georgia vs. North Carolina, Atlanta, GA*
- 4-Sep: Topgolf Austin, Austin, TX, 1:30 to 5 p.m.
- 4-Sep: Texas vs. Notre Dame at Darrel K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX*
- 5-Sep: Ole Miss vs. Florida State at the Camping World Kickoff, Orlando, FL*
- 7-Sep: PGA Junior League Golf at Cog Hill Country Club, Lemont, IL, 2 to 3 p.m.
- 10-Sep: UNLV vs. UCLA at the Rose Bowl Stadium, Pasadena, CA*
- 16-Sep: Brewers vs. Cubs at Wrigley Field Chicago, IL, Noon to 1 p.m.
- 17-Sep: Michigan State vs. Notre Dame at Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, IN
- 20-Sep: Ryder Cup Preview at Star Tribune, Minneapolis, MN, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- 20-Sep: Ryder Cup Night Tigers vs. Twins at Target Field, Minneapolis, MN, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- 21-Sep: PGA Shop at MSP International Airport, Minneapolis, MN, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- 23-Sep: Grand Opening of the Ryder Cup Shop at Hazeltine National, Chaska, MN, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 23-Sep: Under Armour Brand House at Mall of America, Bloomington, MN, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
* The Ryder Cup Trophy will be on the field during a select time of the game.