PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. -- United States Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III, his five Vice Captains and the 12-member U.S. Team, have made a $2.85 million commitment to the 2016 Ryder Cup Outreach Program, which impacts designated charities and youth golf development programs across the country.
Since 1999, and spanning nine Ryder Cups, the outreach program has contributed more than $25 million to more than 180 charitable organizations.
All members of the 2016 U.S. Team, along with Love, designated $100,000 to the charity or charities of their choice. Another $100,000 will be directed to deliver continued support to youth golf development programs, including Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Drive, Chip & Putt Championship and PGA Junior League Golf, which is supported by PGA REACH, the charitable foundation of the PGA of America.
“Part of the allure of being a member of the U.S. Ryder Cup Team -- be it as a player, Vice Captain or Captain -- is the ability to impact communities or organizations in the name of American golf,” Love said. “This is always a special week. Each member of this team loves playing for our country, both in a literal sense -- wearing the red, white and blue -- and figuratively. We are all grateful for the opportunity to compete for the Ryder Cup, and at the same time to grow our sport and share in the spirit of goodwill by helping others.”
The five U.S. Vice Captains – Jim Furyk, Tom Lehman, Steve Stricker, Bubba Watson and Tiger Woods – will designate $25,000 each to the charity or charities of their choice, and another $25,000 to help support the following youth golf development programs.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America: The Outreach Program will continue funding the delivery of fun, developmental golf programming through a partnership with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. This program introduces youth nationwide to the game of golf and provides training equipment and instructional support from PGA Professionals.
- Drive, Chip & Putt Championship: The Drive, Chip & Putt Championship, supported by The Masters Tournament Foundation, the PGA of America and the United States Golf Association, is a free, nationwide junior skills competition for boys and girls, ages 7-15.
- PGA Junior League Golf: A key initiative of PGA REACH, the PGA of America’s charitable arm, PGA Junior League Golf is a fun, social and inclusive opportunity for boys and girls ages 13 and under to learn and enjoy the game. Kids play on teams with friends and wear numbered jerseys, learning golf with professional instruction and direction from PGA and LPGA Teaching Professionals.
The 41st Ryder Cup is being contested Sept. 30-Oct. 2, at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota.
41st Ryder Cup Outreach Program Community Outreach & Youth Golf Development Programs
Each player and Captain Love will direct $100,000 to the charity or charities of their choice. In addition, they will each direct $100,000 to:
- PGA Junior League Golf ($38,500)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America ($38,500)
- Drive, Chip & Putt Championship ($23,000)
Each U.S. Vice Captain will direct $25,000 to the charity or charities of their choice. In addition they will each direct $25,000 to:
- PGA Junior League Golf ($9,625)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America ($9,625)
- Drive, Chip & Putt Championship ($5,750)
|NAME||COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAM||AMOUNT|
|Davis Love III||Davis Love Foundation||$100,000|
|Rickie Fowler||Fowler Foundation||$100,000|
|J.B. Holmes||J.B. & Erica Holmes Foundation, Inc.||$100,000|
|Dustin Johnson||The Dustin Johnson Foundation||$100,000|
|Zach Johnson||Zach Johnson Foundation||$100,000|
|Brooks Koepka||ALSAC St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital||$50,000|
|Brooks Koepka||Green Beret Foundation||$50,000|
|Matt Kuchar||Camp Twin Lakes||$33,333|
|Matt Kuchar||Ronald McDonald House of Jacksonville||$26,667|
|Matt Kuchar||Georgia Tech Athletic Association (Golf)||$26,667|
|Matt Kuchar||SSI Plantation Chase||$13,333|
|Phil Mickelson||Phil & Amy Mickelson Foundation||$100,000|
|Ryan Moore||To Be Determined||$100,000|
|Patrick Reed||Bayou Land Conservancy||TBD|
|Patrick Reed||St. Benedict's Homeless Shelter (Ky.)||TBD|
|Brandt Snedeker||Snedeker Foundation||$100,000|
|Jordan Spieth||The Jordan Spieth Family Foundation||$100,000|
|Jimmy Walker||Geneva School of Boerne||$100,000|
|Jim Furyk||Jim & Tabitha Furyk Foundation||$25,000|
|Tom Lehman||Elevate Phoenix||$25,000|
|Steve Stricker||Steve Stricker / American Family Insurance Foundation||$25,000|
|Bubba Watson||Bubba Watson Foundation||$25,000|
|Tiger Woods||Tiger Woods Foundation||$25,000|