Brian Stuard moves into top 25 after Zurich Classic victory
Brian Stuard earned his first PGA Tour victory in a playoff at the Zurich Classic on Monday, and jumped from 144th all the way up to 22nd place in the latest U.S. Ryder Cup points rankings.
Meanwhile, Charley Hoffman – the Valero Texas Open winner a week ago – climbed from 12th up to 10th place in the points by tying for 11th in New Orleans. Chris Kirk stepped from 29th up to 25th place with his tie for fifth, and Jamie Lovemark, who lost out to Stuard in the Zurich playoff, moved up to 17th place from his previous perch at No. 28.
There was no change in the top nine in the U.S. points rankings, where Jordan Spieth easily retains the top spot, with Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Brandt Snedeker and Zach Johnson rounding out the top five. Rickie Fowler, Phil Mickelson and Patrick Reed currently hold the final three automatic spots.
Here's a look at the top 12 following the 2016 Zurich Classic (remember, the top eight qualify on points, while U.S. Captain Davis Love III will round out the team with his four Captain's Picks):
1. Jordan Spieth 8,872.840
2. Dustin Johnson 4,809.848
3. Bubba Watson 3,658.078
4. Brandt Snedeker 3,511.352
5. Zach Johnson 3,166.216
6. Rickie Fowler 3,154.266
7. Phil Mickelson 2,974.297
8. Patrick Reed 2,912.755
9. J.B. Holmes 2,575.692
10. Charley Hoffman 2,287.858
11. Bill Haas 2,215.376
12. Brooks Koepka 2,214.007
Since the 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine in Chaska, Minn., will be played in an Olympic year (with golf included in the Games for the first time since 1904), there have been some adjustments made to the qualifying calendar for the U.S. Ryder Cup team.
Here are the key dates in the qualifying process:
- Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016: The top eight will be finalized at the conclusion of The Barclays, which is scheduled to finish on this date, as opposed to the traditional closing of points at the conclusion of the PGA Championship, which will be played in July instead of August in 2016 due to the Olympics. It also affords players an additional two weeks from past years to earn a spot on points.
- Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016: Love will select three of his four Captain's Picks at the conclusion of the BMW Championship, scheduled to end on this day.
- Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016: Love will make his fourth and final Captain's Pick at the conclusion of the Tour Championship, scheduled to end on this day.