How U.S. players will earn Ryder Cup points in 2018
Here's a breakdown of how players can collect points in 2018 to earn a spot on the American Ryder Cup team.
2018 Regular PGA Tour events
- 1 point per $1,000 earned
Note: Beginning January 1, 2018, through the PGA Championship, August 12, 2018; includes the Zurich Classic of New Orleans team event and WGC events.
* 2018 Opposite Field PGA TOUR events will NOT receive points.
2018 Major Championships
- 2 points per $1,000 earned for the winner
- 1.5 points per $1,000 earned for all others to make the cut at The Masters; U.S. Open; Open Championship; PGA Championship.
Note: The points system for the American team will conclude on August 12, 2018, following the 100th PGA Championship at Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis, with the top eight (8) players on the points list securing spots on the U.S. Team.
- The four (4) remaining slots on the U.S. Team will be Captain's Selections. Three selections will be announced by Captain Jim Furyk following the Dell Technologies Championship scheduled to be completed on September 3, 2018, and the final selection will be announced after the BMW Championship, which is slated to be completed on September 9, 2018.
Ryder Cup USA will head to Le Golf National, Paris, France, to defend the Ryder Cup for the first time since 2010 at Celtic Manor in Wales. The Americans entered that Ryder Cup as the defending champions, having won the 2008 matches at Valhalla under the helm of Captain Paul Azinger.
The Americans would lose to the Europeans in Wales, 14 1/2-13 1/2.
In 2018, Ryder Cup USA will be looking for its first win on foreign soil since the 1993 matches at the Belfry in England. There, the Americans won 15-13 under Captain Tom Watson.