James Hahn makes huge leap with Quail Hollow victory
With his victory in the 2016 Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow on Sunday, James Hahn soared in the latest Ryder Cup USA standings. Before the week began, Hahn was No. 87 on the points list, but after he cleaned up his winning par putt in a playoff victory over Roberto Castro, he climbed 69 spots to No. 18.
It was the second win of Hahn's PGA Tour career. He also won the 2015 Northern Trust Open in a playoff over Paul Casey and Dustin Johnson.
To call Hahn's victory a shock, might be an understatement given his play of late. Before the win, Hahn had missed the cut in eight consecutive starts. Now, with the win -- on the course that will host the 2017 PGA Championship, no less -- Hahn now has his name very much in the Ryder Cup conversation, provided he can let the confidence grow after the latest victory.
There were no players in the top 12 last week who fell out of it after the Wells Fargo, but there was a little shuffling in the top 7.
Rickie Fowler moved from No. 6 to No. 5 with his T4, while Phil Mickelson went from No. 7 to No. 6 thanks also to a T4.
Those two results sent Zach Johnson -- who took the week off -- from No. 5 to No. 7.
Here's a look at the top 12 following the 2016 Wells Fargo Championship (remember, the top eight qualify on points, while U.S. Captain Davis Love III will round out the team with his four Captain's Picks):
1. Jordan Spieth 8,872.840
2. Dustin Johnson 4,809.848
3. Bubba Watson 3,658.078
4. Brandt Snedeker 3,511.352
5. Rickie Fowler 3,441.704
6. Phil Mickelson 3,261.735
7. Zach Johnson 3,166.216
8. Patrick Reed 2,960.257
9. J.B. Holmes 2,592.281
10. Charley Hoffman 2,287.858
11. Bill Haas 2,215.376
12. Brooks Koepka 2,214.007
Since the 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine in Chaska, Minn., will be played in an Olympic year (with golf included in the Games for the first time since 1904), there have been some adjustments made to the qualifying calendar for Ryder Cup USA.
Here are the key qualifying dates:
- Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016: The top eight will be finalized at the conclusion of The Barclays, which is scheduled to finish on this date, as opposed to the traditional closing of points at the conclusion of the PGA Championship, which will be played in July instead of August in 2016 due to the Olympics. It also affords players an additional two weeks from past years to earn a spot on points.
- Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016: Love will select three of his four Captain's Picks at the conclusion of the BMW Championship, scheduled to end on this day.
- Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016: Love will make his fourth and final Captain's Pick at the conclusion of the Tour Championship, scheduled to end on this day.